Monday, May 28, 2012

Staying Close to Home


A few years ago I decided it would be great to visit Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day. I'm glad I did it - once. The throngs of visitors, tourists, family and friends of the fallen were completely overwhelming of course.

Arlington is a solemn place, a respectful and beautiful place. It's awesome in the true sense of the word for so many reasons. Visually it is truly amazing. Its history is fascinating and heart breaking. It's a powerful place! Usually the energy feels quite orderly. That Memorial Day was the one time at Arlington (I've visited dozens of times over the years) that I really felt the spirits enjoying themselves. Ordinarily it seems as if they stand at attention on their graves, perpetually saluting in the direction of Washington. That day, they were partying their ghostly asses off among the herds of living people. It was quite an experience!

I can only imagine what the Vietnam Memorial feels like today. It is terribly hot and humid for this time of year, will be up in the 90s today. Standing by the wall will no doubt feel like being submerged in a pot of thick, boiling soup. You won't find me anywhere near the National Mall today!

From the cool calm of the chateau I salute my brothers who were brave enough or crazy enough - or both - to walk onto battlefields and fight for what they believed was right and good. I will light a candle for every one of you. May you dance ecstatically today. May you lay down and rest after today, may you rest in peace. May it be so. Shalom.

No comments: