Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Tenth Month



It's October and I am happy. Though once again gloomy in DC, it is a CHILLY gloom rather than a hot and humid gloom. At this time of year, I prefer chilly. It's supposed to be chilly. It might even be blustery out there; the wind is gusty. How exciting! Fall. Oh yeah.

October will be a busy month. I'm going to attend the birth of a baby - soon - next week sometime I think. Two of my oldest and most beloved friends are coming for a visit from San Francisco. Can't wait to see them! October 12 is the Willow Manor Ball, something I look forward to every year. See the sidebar for details. The Literary Feast is October 22nd, an excuse to cook, toast, and feast.

I will play a million games of scrabble with my sisters, brother and friends on the iphone. OK. Maybe only a thousand games. Along with the cool weather, I am again inspired to entertain here at the chateau; right now there are four or five cookbooks on my kitchen table, open to recipes for quiche, stews, and soups.

In October the leaves will begin to turn colors as best they can after a very dry summer followed by three steady weeks of rain, not the best of conditions for a colorful fall. Nevertheless, I will be out there walking around this month, taking dozens of pictures anytime Brother Sun is kind enough to grace us with his presence.

As always in October, I will hang out with the Dead. The veils are already very thin, have been for awhile, I should say, and the ghosts are already partying, such as they are able. They love a good long period of gloomy weather, who knows why? I've asked many times but they always pretend they didn't hear me. Actually there are living people, plenty of them, who LOVE gloomy weather. I don't get it, do you? One thing I'm guessing I will not do in October is understand that prediliction.

On Halloween I will again vamoose East Capitol Street to hide out on Tennessee Avenue, away from the uber-throngs of trick or treaters.

Oh yeah. October is my favorite month. I hope it stretches out and lasts a good long time. May it be so. Shalom!


She seems very determined.

12 comments:

ellen abbott said...

it is delightfully cool outside this morning. And it's supposed to last for more than just a day! Still, clear sky and no rain though.

steven said...

leaves and chipmunks are whipping every which way in the cool/almost cold windy saturday that this day is here. the trees are damping down the green fire they've stoked all summer and letting their accumulated sugars do the rainbow dance they're famous for. my bike and i are heading into the hills to see what we can see. i still haven't put on a pair of long pants since the middle of spring. steven

Cyndy said...

The weather right now is just a little too cool, for my taste, for October. Nevertheless we are spending most of the day outside planting a whole slew of crape myrtles. And I am absolutely determined to take one or two more day trips to the beach before November arrives, if the weather will cooperate. I love seeing all of the dried up cornstalks and pumpkin fields on my way to soaking up the last little bit of ocean sun for the year. I kind of enjoy the overlap of seasons. Like Steven, I'm wearing shorts today.

Reya Mellicker said...

I wore shorts yesterday. Today I'm wearing jeans - so weird to feel fabric on my legs from the knees down!

I am lovin' it!!

Carolina Linthead said...

"It's October and I'm happy." Amen!

Anonymous said...

The hottest start to October since records began ... that is on this side of the Atlantic ... I look forward to seeing you at Willow Manor ...

Cheryl Cato said...

It has been cool enough here to wear jeans in the morning & evening... not so much in the afternoon. I adore autumn; it is my favorite time of year. Send us some rain, please, please, please. :-)

Delwyn said...

Hi Reya
October means the beginning of spring-summer...the spring equinox last week was a great time for an evening of kundalini yoga and crystal bowl meditation...
the days are longer and my walks last til 6.30 coming home in the near dark...I love to walk just pre-dusk the light is so mellow and beautiful, the trees lit and the vegetation soft...the little blue wrens flit and the frogs begin frogsong...
I hope that you enjoy your Autumn October and see some more of the sun.

Delwyn said...

PS I have become a grandmother...well Iroha Daisy is now 10 months old...and living with us...what special joy...

Reya Mellicker said...

Mazel tov, and happy spring, Delwyn!

Pauline said...

The weather in October has a way of clearing one's head, of setting one up to be aware of the coming cold, of getting pumped and primed for winter. I love it too!

Steve Reed said...

I love October too -- and fall in general. The change from sweltering summer to cool, fresh autumn is always so welcome. Even if it comes with a bit of gloom! (Maybe I like it because I'm a November baby.)