Sunday, October 2, 2011

Enough already!



"Let there be light" is the theme of my work for the High Holy Days this year. It is an interesting theme indeed. Light reveals what has been previously hidden from view which can be wonderful, illuminating, but also sometimes there are creepy little crawly things in the shadows that I didn't know were there. If there's light, things will be revealed. Hmmm.

In the past, discovering creepy crawly stuff was my cue to get to work, to heal or resolve the creeps and crawls no matter what, even at my own expense, even things that can't be resolved or healed. I was very determined.

It's interesting that I'm choosing, in a number of different situations, to turn away from the dark, instead face the light. The dark issues that are a part of life are fascinating, have always been compelling to me. Bearing down on age 59 as I am, it's dawning on me (perfect phrase) that I don't have to solve, unravel or fix everything lurking in the shadows. While I'm mucking around, life is going by. I need to choose carefully before plunging into the shadows to fix and repair. I do have a choice! What a revelation!

Let there be light all around me, to my left and right, before me and behind me, above me and below me. Let there be light as the days grow shorter. So may it be. Shalom.

6 comments:

ellen abbott said...

so be it.

Elizabeth said...

Excellent 2nd photo!

Reya Mellicker said...

THanks, Elizabeth.

Yeah, so be it! Why not?

steven said...

reya - it's so hard not to want to see the "dark" which is more often blindingly bright and revealing of what we wish was dark but is all about something of ourselves that we can't bear to connect to our own sense of who we are or might wish to be. there's so much to be learned from what's hidden away but really, i'd rather create more light or hand it on. so be it reya!! steven

Reya Mellicker said...

A little of both is the balanced path, eh Steven? But this year I am contemplating the idea of bathing in light, creating light and handing it on, exactly. Thank you.

Steve Reed said...

Amen! Reflection can be beneficial, but it has its limits.