Saturday, October 8, 2011

Kippured



Me: Good morning, your majesty. Whazzup?
God: Ha. I love it when you call me that!
Me: You are majestic, you know.
God: Yeah, that's what they say.
Me: You've got a busy day ahead, hey?
God: Yom Kippur - not actually my favorite day of the year.
Me: Why?
God: I love the singing, and the way y'all wear white. That's cool.
Me: But -- ?
God: But all the fussing about being forgiven? Sometimes even I don't understand what that's about. I guess it makes people feel better, but you know it isn't up to me personally - everyone can be forgiving of him or herself and others. It's hard but it can be done.
Me: Well, I can expl--
God (interrupting): And the people who never talk to me all year long, but today? Today they ALL want to talk to me, all at once. For heaven's sake. If I had a head, it would give me a headache.
Me:
God: Sorry, I interrupted you.
Me: Well ... I ... wanted to talk to you.
God: (laughing) You talk to me every day, go ahead.
Me: How are we, you and me? Are things good between us?
God: Why wouldn't they be?
Me: I'm supposed to ask before the Book of Life closes at sunset tonight. And I'm curious, this whole Let there be light thing from this year - did I do it?
God: Oh yeah. You're shining like a star, my dear. Well done.
Me: I've been wondering about facing the light like this ... doesn't that mean I will cast a very dark shadow? An unexamined shadow?
God: You generate light, just like everyone. This year you're remembering to embody the light rather than standing in someone else's light. Make sense?
Me: ... ummm ...
God: When you generate light, you shine from your back body as well as front body, creating only the palest shadow. It's a stage of life thing - you're just about three-score, yes?
Me: In a little over a year, yes.
God: Younger people must struggle, they have to build, expand, thrash around, cast shadows and explore those shadows. But later in life, the only thing you have to do is shine.
Me: OH, wow. What a revelation.
God:
Me: Wow.
God: Pick your jaw up off the ground, please. Can we wrap this up? I've got places to go and people see, sixty-four gates to pass through.
Me: Yes, of course, your majesty. THANK YOU, and I love you!
God: I love you, too. All of y'all. You're so adorable. Better get going. Shalom!
Me: Shalom! See you tomorrow... kiss kiss!

11 comments:

ellen abbott said...

What a relief! All we have to do is shine!

Expat From Hell said...

I love the "shine" concept. Gotta think about that for a while. And God says "y'all"? Boy, that changes my whole theology. Good to be here again. EFH

Reya Mellicker said...

Yeah! Good news.

Great to "see" you, Expat. xx

steven said...

i like that God speaks with an accent! i like that God simplifies things for us as we get older! that 's very good news for this man. steven

Meri said...

Reya, my dear one. . . may I please have your permission to reprint today's post in full on my new website, www.finallyme.com, in the Speak Freely topic heading? And may I use the same photos?
Please, with cream and sugar!

Reya Mellicker said...

Of course!! Do whatever you want with it. I woke up with this conversation in my head, fully formed.

The Bug said...

I love this!

Tom said...

shine...yay. especially this one spot on top of my head.

Reya Mellicker said...

Tom, ha!!

Dana: <3

Steve Reed said...

You always have such a positive view of human nature, Reya. I love how you (and God) think of humans as adorable. I hope I'm shining, at least intermittently. :)

Reya Mellicker said...

Steve you are one of the shiniest people I've ever known.