Thursday, August 11, 2011

When in doubt, make nice



While I was praying this morning, the thought came to me that rebirths of all kinds feel quite scary because my own physical birth was difficult. My father was hospitalized when my mother went into labor, hence no one was earning money. I was the third child, too. I've seen how households move from the chaos of 2 kids to complete mayhem with the arrival of the third. I believe my mother was worried, my father was worried, my sisters were most likely worried.

Like most baby boomers, I was born in a haze of ether - I believe that was the anesthetic given to laboring women in 1953 - from my mother's body (doped up, laid out flat and strapped to the table, feet strapped into stirrups). Moments after birth I was probably held upside down and slapped hard, allegedly to get me breathing. Is it any wonder that when it's time to make a change, time to reinvent myself, I'm frightened? Holy cow, of course.

I will spend today engaged in self-soothing behavior. It's hot but not too humid, hence I can walk around, take pics with the iphone. I have a couple of errands to run, but nothing terribly pressing. I think I'll give myself the day off, as tomorrow I begin my final weekend at Quiet Waters.

If I were my own client, I would be saying, When you're anxious, ask yourself what you need in that moment - water, a deep breath, a shoulder to cry on, some sleep? I urge clients to take care of their animal bodies, soothe their brainstems by providing some simple TLC. In addition, I urge them to cut themselves a wide swath of slack during times of duress. Today is a good day to take my own advice: walk around, take pictures, watch a stupid movie, eat something simple but delicious, get a good night's sleep.

The studio here at the chateau is clean, clear and ready to receive clients. After I move my table Monday, I'll be in business. Oh yeah. Onwards and upwards.

10 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

It says, in the history of childbirth, that chloroform was also used during labor in the 1950s. Both ether and chloroform are seriously toxic, and both anesthetics slowed contractions which is why so many of us were literally yanked out with tongs.

Is it ANY WONDER that when we came of age, we turned to hallucinogens? The urge to self-medicate right now as I'm rebirthing my professional life, is powerful. Thankfully I am resisting, mostly because I can't really handle too much intoxication anymore. Whew!

Reya Mellicker said...

Yanked out with tongs, then held upside down and slapped hard. And we were on drugs!

No wonder, also, that so many of us ended up on a therapist's couch!

Bloody hell.

glnroz said...

ye'uh, but now you can "go git'em"...such interesting point of view,,,both words and pics.

Angela said...

I am also a third child. I am sure we all have something in common. Maybe it is the sigh of our family - oh God, another one! But we are tough, Reya, no matter how our start was! I so like your self-watching and then saying Whew! Right on!

Jinksy said...

It was only 1941, but I too got the forceps treatment, and got the dented skull to prove it, but so far I've avoided the therapists couch! LOL

Reya Mellicker said...

I loved my years on the couch. I spent 10 years there, once a week, in San Francisco. Saved my life over and over again!

Carolina Linthead said...

Ditto the couch, my beloved sister: saved my life. Ditto the anxiety regarding reinvention. Through it all, there is something we baby boomers/veterans of the couch can do with aplomb: we can care for each other. Grace and peace to you, dear Reya!

Reya Mellicker said...

We DO care for each other, Michael. How are you? Hanging in there? Hope so. Love to you and Dana.

Carolina Linthead said...

Hanging in there, Reya. Been a long, productive day. Dana is doing great! Ironically, given your post, this was probably something she had coming since birth: a slight misalignment or something, for whatever reason, caused her joint to wear out way too soon. She will be much better, very, very soon!

C.M. Jackson said...

good luck and enjoy your day off! you will do great and your clients will love yout new space.