Tuesday, August 2, 2011

One foot in front of the other.


Both pics taken with the iphone.

Big, dark clouds rolled through DC yesterday afternoon, but they could not gather themselves together to create rain. I heard thunder, but not a drop of water fell. It seemed to me there was a lot of antipathy and conflict ongoing among the cloud people. They could not come together. It happens.

I walked around for an hour after work, shaking the rain stick, asking ... begging ... for some rain, to no avail. After all these things are way out of my hands, but I figure it never hurts to ask, right? Why not?

One thing I love about living on Capitol Hill is that, as part of this village, my strange behavior is tolerated almost universally. As I walked around, I asked friends, neighbors and perfect strangers to give the stick a shake or two. Everyone humored me.

While there was no rain, at least I had some fun before coming home, watering the garden, then tucking myself into the fabulously fly-free chateau for the evening. Shrugs shoulders. The Summer of Discontent is far from over. Oh well. Such is life.

However, this, too, shall pass. It will, hey? I say hey.

10 comments:

Miranda said...

I wish I'd been one of the strangers passing by!

ellen abbott said...

Most hopefully it will pass. It is starting to bare (bear?) on me. I am feeling the discontent.

Reya Mellicker said...

YES. Drought has impact on the brain stem, the instinctual, non-rational part of the brain that can not be talked out of its reactions. Sigh.

Miranda, I wish you had, too. You have powers and you KNOW about drought. Nice to "see" you here.

Whitney Lee said...

"This, too, shall pass." My personal mantra. Helps more than cussing at the unchangeable. It also helps remind me to appreciate the good times as well.

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Ha, I love the image of you walking around with our rain stick - so fun.
I know drought as well. It "almost" rains here a lot more than it actually does.
This too shall pass has been a comfort in my life many many times.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

i think we got your share of the rain yesterday.

all things must pass.

more connections to george today, i wonder what's up with this!! (ref today on the mouse)

visualizing rain and cooler temps for you! pretty hot here, but not nearly like what you all have.

namaste!

Val said...

i love those rain sticks - cant leave them alone. There would probably be a flood if i owned one. Hope you get some respite soon x

steven said...

yeah it's entirely about small steps . . . small purposeful conscious steps! feeling the ground under each step and then moving outward from that sensation. i love the glow of your photographs! steven

Kerry said...

It's pretty cool that you can shake that rain stick and offer it to others on the street without anyone batting an eye. I love the way a rain stick sounds, and wish somebody would hand one to me! Although here in OR it hasn't been necessary.

I'm just back from a trip abroad; somewhere on that trip I saw a super cool, very old, fly trap made out of glass. Reading your recent posts made me think of it. I'm glad your flies are gone, but I hope you get rain soon. I hope the cloud of discontent in DC breaks open with showers of relief.

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks, Kerry! Welcome home.