Monday, November 10, 2008

Very Cool



Did you know that the world of science is now (finally) interested in studying the biological function of emotion? Imagine me cheering. Historically scientists believed emotion was an inferior aspect of our humanity. Now it turns out that without emotion, it's not possible to make rational decisions. They know because people who suffer brain damage that stunts emotional capacity also suffer a reduction in their ability to make good personal decisions. These people can solve logic problems but can't translate that to "real" life decisions. Naturally science is now fixated on emotion.

As a woman of passionate emotions, I feel vindicated. Of course emotions do not guarantee the ability to make rational decisions - my life story is evidence of that!

It's now possible to track emotions, as they arise, in the brain. (Though it's believed that emotion exists throughout the body, they don't know how to measure that just yet).

They've watched what happens in the brain when a person meditates, very interesting. They also know the sequence of brain activity at death. Really cool!!

But ... what does the brain look like during prayer? How about when a person is channeling the ancestors or doing a psychic reading or soul retrieval? Or during a Reiki session? What does possession look like? Does the brain map a core self and a second self? What happens during exorcisms? What did the brains of the ancient prophets and oracles look like? I wonder what parts of my brain were flashing when I was sobbing with happiness last Tuesday night after the election was called?

The questions go on and on. I'll stop now.

14 comments:

Lynne said...

Loving your photos of late. I'm jealous now of your fall color since ours is pretty much done except for a few late comers.

I am still amazed at how clean cars are in DC.

How about the brain of my puppy? I'd love to know ...

Reya Mellicker said...

Aww! I bet your puppy's brain is so so so cute. Don't you think?

mouse (aka kimy) said...

super photos!!

and very interesting post.

coincidentally, just last night I read john seabrook's piece in the new yorker about psychologists doing scans on 'psychopaths' - fascinating article. thanks again for encouraging me to subscribe!

Merle Sneed said...

It's amazing how much of what we think is true is just a construct of our mind.

Janelle said...

oh like precious artwork i should imagine..xxx j

tut-tut said...

Our well-being is completely tied to emotions! Can we control them, though?

Gary said...

I am drawn to those with 'passionate emotions' so it is no wonder that I am so attracted to you. I believe I am a man of passionate emotions and have felt as though I have needed to protect that at times in my life. Emotion, deeply felt & raw, make many people uncomfortable. I am fascinated by it and how it manifests in our outer body - the struggle to contain what cannot be contained and how eventually it all comes out anyway. So, I go forth expressing my great joy and thrill to be alive, loving without shame and passionate about what moves me.

Reya Mellicker said...

Gary? B. R. A. V. O. !!

Tut - according to the book I'm now reading, people can control facial expression of emotion, and sometimes the way emotion affects the voice, but the inner expression of emotion can not be controlled. It can be ignored, but not suppressed, for good reason.

He thinks emotions help prepare the mind to make decisions that enhance life. Fascinating stuff!

tam said...

I love that science is catching up with other disciplines that have known these things for centuries. I love the research into brain chemistry that can find 'proof' that meditation works. I went to an amazing lecture the other day by a brilliant young woman, Claire Janisch from the Genius Lab. She's a chemical engineer environmentalist (lord don't we need more of those!) went into lots of fascinating detail and parallels about the fibonacci sequence, the phi ratio, some beautiful little random facts like how if you translate the top octaves into equivalent light vibrations you get the rainbow. Ooh it made my toes curl. And the best part? cutting edge physicists will soon be able to 'prove' that thought can indeed create reality, mess with matter and bend spoons.

Reya Mellicker said...

Oh man! Just reading about the lecture makes my toes curl.

The world is truly a spectacular place. I love it when anyone can connect the dots. Oh yeah!!

Squirrel said...

I enjoyed studying emotions in college-- we spent a month just studying empathy. Our prof was passionate about the importance of emotions and emotional growth.

Barbara Martin said...

I've been away too long and here's a wonderful post with great photos combined with stimulating prose. Human emotion is a direct link to the universe and spiritual connection.

hele said...

While reading your words I am also looking outside at flowers and leaves fluttering in the first sun we have seen in the last two weeks.

And I wonder what trials they sketch across my brain.

Then I start wondering where they feel their emotion. On a cellular level maybe?

Faerose said...

I love your photo with the curving buildings.

Magda xx

http://users.livejournal.com/faerose_/