Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Head First into the Holidays



I worked like a dog through the weekend, always a good thing since, as my friend Merle Sneed says, one must make hay while the sun shines. Oh yeah.

Everyone I worked with was in a funk for one reason or another. Though I envy my friends who look forward to the holidays, who love the holidays, still it's hard to avoid the reality that for a lot of people, this time of year is really stressful, difficult to navigate on many levels. I'm not the only one who cringes as this season approaches.

My clients are worried about family members who are gravely ill, or about the arduous travel ahead this weekend, or about family dynamics, or are devastated because their romantic relationships have recently come apart, or are straining at the bit because they so long to break up the relationships they're a part of. They hate their mothers-in-law, they hate their cousins, they dread having to play a certain role with the family, having to be so careful about their behavior. They're overwhelmed already.

I hear the same stories every year.

People are so brave, heartfelt and (frankly) beautiful when they're suffering. Still, it'll be nice to be away from the treatment room for a few days. Onwards & upwards to tofu dinners and Hugh Grant movies.

15 comments:

mouse (aka kimy) said...

which hugh movies are in this year's movie queue? anything new????

hugs. enjoy the tofu!

tut-tut said...

Both photos capture the disparate feelings of this time of year so well. Add the financial insecurity to the mix. But I'm knitting and making things, and I have a kitten on my lap right this minute. Have a good holiday, whatever you do.

Yes, which Hugh Grant movies? Besides Love, Actually.

Reya Mellicker said...

About a Boy
Three Weddings and a Funeral
Love, Actually
Notting Hill

I might add one or two new ones to the mix this year, or hey, I might branch out and rent some films that do NOT have Hugh Grant in them.

Wild and crazy me!!

ArtSparker said...

Sounds like a lot to absorb for one weekend. I can recommend Tom Tykwer's The Princess and the Warrior which I just watched . I intend to double up on yoga classes through the end of the year.

the two photos of things not being what they appear to be are wonderful, maybe the famous "object that is closer than it appears to be" is the Holidays.

Anil P said...

Must make for busy work-days. The picture is almost like a perpetual blur.

Val said...

strange how these great traditional reunions that are supposed to be all warm and fuzzy always seem to bring a load of stress and tension. I suppose its that balance thing...sounds like you have the best plan!
enjoy

Steve Reed said...

Have you ever seen "Maurice"? That's a very early and little known gay-themed Hugh Grant movie. I haven't seen it in years, but I loved it in college. It's a Merchant-Ivory film based on E.M. Forster.

I'm sorry that so many people have trouble with this time of year. I guess I need to count my blessings that my family gets along (more or less) and there's usually no major trauma. Minor irritation, yes, but it is what it is, right?

Tess Kincaid said...

Hugh Grant can sooth a multitude of holiday anxieties.

lacochran said...

"I'm not the only one who cringes as this season approaches."

Far from it.

Lynne said...

What a wonderful photo! Love the shadow.

Hugh Grant: what's not to like? Although I have to admit that even he couldn't revive Notting Hill. Anybody but Julia-what-is-her-name! Loved About a Boy and Love, Actually. He always looks so innocent. Who could resist?

I wish I had more family to worry about at this time of year. It's really kind of sad. A good friend who is all by herself is coming for the holiday, so that's a good thing!

Embrace it Reya, even if you don't want to!

Merle Sneed said...

I have mixed emotions about the holidays. I enjoy being together with our family, but the excesses of the celebrations make me uncomfortable.

Angela said...

Instead of Thanksgiving, we celebrate St. Nikolaus-Day, on Dec. 6th. It is a Children`s Day, they put out their shoes at night and hope for St. Nick to fill them with sweets (as the Holy Man was said to have done for poor girls who were to be sold as slaves, but with money not sweets). Not many preparations needed, happy faces all around. Try that as a substitute, Reya!

lettuce said...

and then lot of them presumably have it to go through all over again at Christmas? :o/



what about Sense and Sensibility?
hugh grant AND alan rickman AND greg wise

;o)

Janelle said...

ah reya enjoy your break darlin'! xx j

Reya Mellicker said...

Sense and Sensibility? OH YEAH!!

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Alan Rickman. Thanks Lettuce.