Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Here they come

Yes, it is still beautiful in DC. But I'm over the Stendahl syndrome. Thank goodness!


It's windy and chilly this morning in Washington DC, though a glorious day out there, clear and sparkly. I'm sitting on my sofa drinking coffee, reading emails from possible Yizkor book translators. I am not a big fan of Brother Wind, especially when he's whipping around recklessly, hence I decided camping out this morning is the most prudent idea. I'll take a walk between clients later.

In a little while I'll have to get cleaned up because clients are coming, but for now I'm tousled, unkempt. While in Oregon I hope to spend many mornings just like this - except I'll be with my sister and a portion of her extended family. I look forward to the luxury of unstructured days.

Will it be weird not to work? It has been many years since I took this many days off work. I love my work - it's grounding and when I'm working I feel I am a force for healing in the world. I'm just one person but at least I'm doing my bit. On days when I don't work, unless I have projects lined up, I admit to feeling a bit out to sea.

This is why I will not retire, not ever, not that I could retire, even if I wanted to. But it's OK. I could see working less vigorously as I grow older, but to stop working altogether? That would not be a happy situation for me. I am a working animal, happiest while productive. When I sit around too long, I fall into a state of chronic rumination. My thoughts start spinning, pick up speed, and before you know it, I'm mired in the ruminants. Yikes!

However, even the hardest working animals (and I am not among that group for sure) need a break. Taking a week away from my natural habitat and habits and work will be great for me.

As you can see, I'm prepping myself for this big holiday trip. I'm gearing up for the holidays. Ah the holidays! Bring 'em on.


3 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I know, right? I think retirement is a bad idea. We won't be able to retire either. Working a bit less, yes but how does one fill their days if they are not working and by working, I mean doing something constructive, keeping the mind and body active.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I would love to retire. We're exhausted, but still have a mortgage.
I enjoy your enjoyment Reya - and your energy...and your photos! Keep 'em coming!

ain't for city gals said...

I have been "retired" for 10 years and I love it! I would not like to think about joining that world again. I just read a book called Saved by Ben Hewitt...the last chapter pretty much described me...I am done accumulating stuff...money, things...no more.