Sunday, April 14, 2013

Beam me up, Scotty



In the Oz books - after the first in the series - the way Dorothy travels from Kansas to Oz is fairly straightahead, nothing like having to wait for a tornado. She goes to her room at 4:00 pm where she uses a secret hand signal she learned from Ozma to open a portal between the two realities. She makes the gesture, tumbles and spins, and finds herself in her room in the palace in the Emerald City, just like that. Snap.

I mention this because I felt yesterday, seeing the star light up on the Statue of Freedom's crown, that if only I knew the secret mudra, I could be whisked off into an alternate reality. There's something about the sight of Freedom's lit up stars that feels like a signal. Or maybe when the stars light up, that unlocks a gateway between the worlds. If only I knew the mudra!

But maybe the point of that vision has nothing to do with travelling across time/space. Maybe the gateway is a portal through which goodness enters our reality.

As you can see, I'm intrigued. The second sighting was very different from the first, but felt equally powerful. As a scientist, I don't know what to say about it and I can't explain my fascination, but as a mystic, I feel blessed by these visions. There's never anything wrong with starlight, right? How could there be?

Why I've never noticed the phenomena before is interesting, but more interesting is why and how it is that now I can see the vision while previously I was blind to it. It's the timing of this thing that fascinates me. Context is everything.


4 comments:

JMH said...

Feedly thought I might be interested in your writing based on my enjoyment of Ngorobob Hill House.

I find it interesting -- filled with preoccupations and magic. It feels warm.

Reya Mellicker said...

Who is feedly?

I miss Janelle.

Christine said...

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream

Vincent Van Gogh

Dream on Reya who knows where this beauty will lead you

JMH said...

Feedly is my dog.

Wait, no. Feedly is the RSS feed reader that I use to follow all of the blogs that I like.