Sunday, November 25, 2012

Monumental


Outside the Eastern Market metro station

Plans for my upcoming trip to Kansas City are starting to fall into place, making it a little more real. I'm going! Wow.

The last time I was in an airplane was 2010. Earlier in life I was a rambling kind of gal, but these days I hate traveling. I love seeing places and people, but have such a gripe against travel by commercial airplane including of course the inevitably humiliating airport experience. I get terrible jet lag and feel disoriented no matter how I try to go with it or ignore it. My digestion is always a little off, I can't sleep - I suck as an adventurous traveler, good lord.

But some trips are worth all my petty discomforts with the process of getting from point A to point B. This is one of them. 

Life is good. I am deeply grateful. Shalom.

3 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I don't like to travel these days. Well, except to and fro the city. but we used to travel on planes to go teach but every time I think about scheduling classes out of state i remember we have to fly and I just am not interested in the security lines and checks and the crowded planes and the shifting time zones and yes, having to eat out every night and leaving the cat for a week and I just don't want to do it.

Steve Reed said...

I'm going to sound like an old man, but: Remember when air travel used to be fun? Seriously. It was glamorous and exciting. Now it's like being in a cattle car. Ronald Reagan made it cheaper, but he took all the joy out of it!

Reya Mellicker said...

He surely did, Steve.

Ellen: you and me? Sis-stars