Thursday, June 2, 2011

Capture the Howling Wind



The clouds gathered and the rain fell in buckets. It was raining dogs and cats here in the District yesterday evening, I tell you. Wow! From inside the Matchbox, a facebook friend who is married to the brother of a blog friend, and I, were huddled around a table through the storm. It was, for me, very fun and kind of cinematic, as DC should be for visiting friends. Meanwhile the first of three eclipses in the current cycle was about to take place, visible on earth only in the far, far north. Speaking of cinematic, I read somewhere that yesterday's eclipse turned the midnight sun into a cute solar smile above the north pole. Very cool!

The storm eclipsed the hellish weather and toxic air of recent days. This morning the windows are open at the chateau, the A/C is switched off. Birds are singing, the sun is shining. What a beautiful day! Oh yeah. And so the current eclipse cycle begins.

Everybody has a story about what happens during eclipse cycles. I like to read all accounts because I find them interesting, but since recently I have begun to doubt our ability to accurately interpret anything, I take everything I hear or read with a grain of salt. I used to believe there must be someone, somewhere, who could explain things accurately. I believed there had be a wise man or woman (or two) who understood "the truth." It was clear that person was not me, but I thought, hoped, dreamed of someone smart enough to know what is what. I spent a long time searching for the truth speakers. My expectations were very unreasonable which is why, inevitably, I have always been disappointed to discover that what we do, even the smartest, brightest, sharpest among us, is create narratives. Naming truths is a whole other level of articulation that appears to be slightly beyond our grasp. These days, I like the phrase "best possible story" a lot more than "the truth." Yep.

Here's one possible story about the impact of the first eclipse in the current cycle. Even the title of the essay is good - "Solar eclipse in Gemini: Capture the Howling Wind."

Indeed. Let's do it, shall we? OK!


Nice "portrait" of the chateau.

5 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

The ones most worth listening to have little to say.

Your comments about wise people reminds me of the aphorism, "Go with people who seek the truth; run from those who've found it."

Reya Mellicker said...

Oh yeah!! THAT is smart!

steven said...

i slept through the night dreaming of three big snakes. they were coiled together and not bothering anyone or each other. i watched them until they untangled and made their way across the opening in the forest where they had been spending their time together. the winds yesterday and today carry a lot of energy. a whole lot! today especially i felt the crackling edges and rawness. so i stopped and took pictures after i picked up some milk for the breakfast program and then i tried really hard to watch the raggedy skies and the chewed up road equally 'cause one tells a story of the future becoming present and the other is entirely about the present and especially about how my skinny tired biked carries my skinny body to and from places - in one piece!! oh yeah! steven

Pauline said...

best possible story works for me - and our stories always change with point of view - it's such a relief to know that.

the storm where you were was a tornado where I am. one of the funnels touched down a few miles from my daughter's house where she huddled in the basement with her baby. The wind howled around her and the hail fell but like the aftermath of your storm, when it passed the sun came out and all is well.

Steve Reed said...

Truth and facts are slippery things. Take it from a journalist!

I like Dan's comment above -- a seeking mind is always more reliable than a closed mind that thinks it has the answers. (I have to remind myself of that sometimes!)