Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tripping


Springtime in DC has gone way over the top.

Though I am not at all observant, except in a philosophical way, the rhythms of Judaism pervade my being. I don't have to look at a calendar to know when the big holidays are ongoing; I feel the holidays in my bones, I really do. Most years the trip across the desert, i.e. the week of Passover, feels like a slog. I often feel very dry or easily overheated. Some years it's so hard to put one foot in front of the other, to cross the last dregs of winter.

This year, maybe because Passover is so late, I'm tripping through a fairyland desert of pouffy cherry blossoms overhead, iris and tulips at ground level, and birdsong all around. Lilacs and wysteria are fragrant and buzzing with bees. The air is soft and warm. The trees have popped; there is green dust everywhere.

People say that during the brief moments when the desert is in bloom, the landscape is magically transformed into a place of color and brightness. I'm feeling that, oh yeah.

This year my quest for the promised land includes dinner with someone I adore here at the chateau, an out of town guest, a birthday party, a very unusual Sunday off of work - and - last but never least: BRUNCH.

Brunch! I never go to brunch because I usually work on the weekends.

What a spectacular trek across the desert this year, eh? One thing I sense very powerfully is that the fairies are all around, helping make this year's Passover more of a par-tay than a schep. Hey sparkling bright cousins, you fairy folk? Rock this Passover, dudes! Oh yeah. And ... THANK YOU!

15 comments:

Vicki said...

Sounds like a really fun week! And oh how stunning the pictures are...Sending love for happy times...

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks!! Wish you were a part of this week.

The Bug said...

I wish I felt more party-like, I'm just not feeling it this year. It's probably the rain today. I wrote about it & "borrowed" one of your phrases for the poem. Hope you don't mind!

karen said...

Hi Reya! Just wanted to say thank you for the 3 weeks or so of your posts that I have been reading back through.. they are fabulous on so many levels,and as always - your photos are just beautiful!! I was having a bad day, but I am so glad I came round to your space. thanks again! Autumnal greetings from the other hemisphere :)

Jo said...

What Vicki said! Enjoy each lovely minute of a very special time.
And tell us all about it! Pics, too, please. xoxo

Nancy said...

Those lilacs are amazing. Not here yet. :-(

We had Seder dinner last night, and enjoyed every minute of it with our friends who always make it special. Although not Jewish myself, I always enjoy the ritual.

Reya Mellicker said...

Happy Fall to you, too, Karen.

Bug - heading to your blog to check it out. Hey you can take, borrow, steal or lift anything of mine you like. Once it's on the network, it's in the public domain.

Reya Mellicker said...

I don't think you have to be Jewish to enjoy the dramatic storytelling and all that ritual food. Definitely not!

janis said...

UGH! I have "Tripping", as a title for a post in my drafts! Dang it... now will put it away or re-title. :)
Happy Passover :)
Love to you~
janis

Reya Mellicker said...

Why? Tripping is hardly original. Use it, Janis! Why not?

Meri said...

Let's hear it for wisteria and parties!

Linda Sue said...

Your photos are bowling me over! ALL of them!

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks, Linda Sue. DC right now is so over the top!

steven said...

there's bits of life that can be like a desert. and then from nowhere there's flowers and it becomes more manageable and understandable. i'm stunned by the voluptuous bloom of dc! so very lucky you! steven

Reya Mellicker said...

It is way off the charts at this point in the spring, Steven. Almost unsettling to someone as sensitive as I am. I have to wear sunglasses at this time of year, just to take it all in.