Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Snap



And so it begins. Spring, I mean. In earnest, the real thing. Spring. Whew. The trees are popping at last. From now on I'll find so many different things to take pictures of. No more stark shadows of branches and trunks. No more pics of the Capitol dome just to make a picture dramatic.

Yesterday was the first day of DC's vernal lushness. It's baby lushness of course, and, too, nothing happens fast in any season here. Spring unfolds slowly, gracefully.

I've got a lot of things rolling around in my mind/heart, so many things I could write about this morning, half formed thoughts, kind of like the almost unravelled buds on the tulip magnolia tree. Almost all these ideas revolve around pain, healing, and the miracle of true forgiveness, but I'll let them take form today while I run errands, walk around, and make dinner for friends tonight.

Happy Fat Tuesday, y'all. Carpe diem!

14 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Our trees aren't nearly as budded as yours. Looks like you're several weeks ahead of us in the spring department!

Reya Mellicker said...

DC is in the south, and too ... it's a swamp! We jump into spring early.

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Happy Fat Tuesday to you as well! I have a tulip photo today, we are in full spring mode here in AZ :)

Lynne said...

I am so jealous!

The Bug said...

I'm going to eat pancakes today & relish the idea of spring - we'll get it here directly but until then I'll just look at your pictures :)

Jo said...

I'm so grateful to see those photos today...you have no idea!(well, maybe you do.)

Spring WILL come, and just in time. Whew!

Thank you for this one.

Anonymous said...

Yay Spring! We're observing shrivelling buds here with the season of fat buds long gone in South Australia, but the smell and light of Autumn is wonderful. Happy Spring in your part of the world Reya.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

aw i missed spring's pop and snap down there by a week!

happy mardi gras!

Bee said...

In England, Fat Tuesday is better known as "pancake day." We all make pancakes, and I've never questioned why. Just this year, I read that the tradition came about as a way of using up those "decadent" ingredients -- milk and eggs -- before Lent. Doesn't that seem like such a homely form of decadence?

LOVE to see those gorgeous buds.

Reya Mellicker said...

I made a cake using those decadent ingredients, and I will also make potato pancakes tonight. Does that count?

Kirsty Girl said...

Happy Fat Tuesday! (or wednesday as it is here in Australia). Gorgeous shots, not a cloud in the sky!

steven said...

reya it's like looking at faces looking every which way - something's out there and they need to see it really soon!!! bustin' for you reya!! so lucky you. steven

Reya Mellicker said...

The trees were trembling, but now they are dancing. Oh joyousness of spring!

Pauline said...

Fat Tuesday leads to lean Wednesday. Anticipating buds here but meanwhile I'll enjoy your photos.