Saturday, October 9, 2010

Turn, turn, turn



Brother Sun is racing across the sky these days, such a different journey he takes compared to just a couple of months ago, when he wandered north and then south again before setting in the late evening. These days when I walk home from work, the only visible sunlight is the clear gold on the highest branches of our tall trees, only the turrets atop the houses on East Capitol Street are still illuminated.

This morning is chilly, which reminds me I need to dig out my Hugh Grant movies (where did I put them when I moved?) in preparation of the holiday season. Unlike previous years, I look forward to the holidays this year. I foresee a lot of gathering and feasting with people I adore. Everything is so good here at the chateau - even the holidays seem promising!

Even more than the heart of any season, what I really love, what thrills me, is the shift from season to season. Though autumn and spring move in serious slo-mo here in the American midatlantic, fall is leaning hard upon us. It'll be almost hot today, but then tonight it will cool down to chilly again. How exciting. (You see? I am easily amused.)

Happy Saturday, y'all. Shalom.

9 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I'm excited too. It is finally starting to feel like summer is gone here in Phoenix and the light, oh the magical light that's coming in. I'm in heaven.

ellen abbott said...

I know, right? I can't believe how far the sun has moved already in just a few short weeks. Where before it was setting behind our neighbor's pecan trees, now we see it setting in the field. I like the changes too. It's been very fallish this past week and a half though it is supposed to warm up this weekend.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

i love and WELCOME the cooler weather. we've had a most delightful week - needed rain and sweet cool temps.

today, however, the forecast is for summer to return for a bit! oh well, the clear skies and warm temps will be good while I pull all the storm windows out of the basement and get them cleaned up to put on the windows for when the REAL cold comes!!

love autumn light - your photos capture it beautifully!

steven said...

i got to spend the day in the woods yesterday with my class. we built shelters from the fallen branches, made small fires for cooking and wandered around looking at everything. at times the air was filled with leaves - like those snowfalls where the flakes are impossibly big and after you take a few in on your tongue you feel full! the difference was that this was like being in a technicolour snowstorm. the golds are definitely winning out. i love the light across the top of the gold trees. steven

Gary said...

I am easily amused too I guess. I adore (I love that you use that word in your post - I adore the word adore) the dropping temperature and the excitement of fall. It awakens me somehow.

Dan Gurney said...

It's odd how the turning of the seasons can make us feel more centered. What's going on there?

Reya Mellicker said...

Dan it's part of the generosity of the season, eh? Wakes us up, brings us to our centers. Ahhhhhh!

Nancy said...

I love this time of year, for all the reasons mentioned!

The Bug said...

Well we all know how ambivalent I am - but I must admit that it's been beautiful here. The trees are taking their time turning & the days are taking their time cooling down (although they're noticably shorter now). It's been a nice easing into the season - which is good for me!