Monday, December 7, 2009

Let There Be Light



Light comes in so many forms, have you noticed? Of course there's visible light, visible to homo sapiens, that is. We love our visible light so much that in big electrified countries like the U.S. it's never really dark. I remember the San Francisco sky right after the Loma Prieta earthquake, when there was no ambient city light. It was so beautiful, spangled with stars I had never seen above that brightly lit city.

Somewhere I read that in 200 B.C. (when the terra cotta warriors were made), there was so little pollution that people could easily see Venus in the sky during the day, like the moon. At night it was very easy to navigate by starlight. In 200 B.C., you could cast a shadow from starlight. Only when it was overcast, with no moon, was it hard to see at night. Can you imagine?

I think of Reiki as a kind of light, coming as it does from its mysterious source and traveling through the body of the practitioner into the body of the receiver. It feels like heat, or sometimes it feels like a buzz. Reiki is invisible light, but light just the same.

Love, too, is a kind of light. Love illuminates in so many ways. And the light of love is so healing, too, drying up dank dark corners of the heart.

This is my long-winded way of saying THANK YOU for all your kind and loving comments on yesterday's post. I am still processing the news and will be for awhile, but my heart is wrapped in the light of your thoughtfulness. Thank you so much!! To life and to light! Bravo!!

18 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

What a lovely little essay on the multiple facets of light.....light and energy. Everything is energy. Energy is life. Light means life. Love is light. It is all so basic and all so beautiful. Aren't you blessed to work with the 'buzz' of energies in and around us!!

It is sobering to lose a past or present client to suicide. I have not had this happen.... yet.... that I am aware of..... Even though they come to us for help of one form or another, they do remain responsible for their choices about how they live, and how long they live. So while it is sobering I hope you are not harbouring any feelings of responsibility . . .

Shaista said...

I'm glad it snowed so you could stay inside wrapped up, and heal using your Reiki light.
Am listening to Pink Martini 'Everywhere' and thinking of you.

ellen abbott said...

It amazes me that humans still have such a fear of the dark that we illuminate the night so. Back in my river days deep in Boquillas Canyon on the Rio Grande in Big Bend, I loved the night and the dark with the Milky Way resplendent above. On moonless nights I was always amazed by how much light the stars provided. You really didn't need a flashlight.

I have also read that the moon was closer to the earth thousands of years ago.

Rosaria Williams said...

Ah yes! Back at you!


By the way, we have a city ordinance here to reduce electrical lights, so the night sky is visible! Neat ah? We love that the stars light up the place. (or the moon, or both on some clear night.)

Linda Sue said...

no doubt that the universe is expanding- moon, earth -Venus- all separating from one another- no doubt that there is too much light polution , space garbage caught in gravitational field, no doubt that the planet is changing rapidly- yet the terra cotta soldiers endure and watch in stoney silence.

Reya Mellicker said...

I love Pink Martini!

Reya Mellicker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Val said...

wow imagine seeing Venus in daylight. We have lovely starlight here. in Pliny the Elders day they thought morning dew came from stars - stellar tears...Reiki is awesome - I love it. I am sorry for your sadness though - beaming light your way x

Reya Mellicker said...

I can see if from here, Val. Thank you!

Steve Reed said...

I've written before about how miraculous the sky is in rural Morocco, where I used to live. Stars, stars, stars -- like I've never seen before and may never see again. Amazing!

I'm so sorry to hear about your client. I'm only now catching up on blogland so I missed that news yesterday. I hope you're adapting. My thoughts are with you and your client's family and friends!

Ronda Laveen said...

Love and Light.

Tom said...

where can i order my Reiki goggles?

Mrsupole said...

You light up our life!!!!

Light gives us hope, light gives us life, light gives us all things, light is everything!!!

How can one not love light?

God bless.

The Bug said...

Love the pictures! I like to have lots of light. Dr. M likes things dim. Sigh.

Verily I go. said...

loving energies to you too, Reya always. xo. Soonest.

*** said...

Light is my favorite artist and my favorite work of art. Light is enchanting... light is mesmerizing. Light knows no boundaries and does not discriminate. Light is as interesting when strewn through a dewy bed of flowers as it is cast upon a heap of trash. Light is grace. Can you tell I have a thing for light =)

In your photo...I love how the lights from the Christmas tree inside the house spill out onto the lit shrubbery beneath the window - making them as one. Nice.

SG said...

I join you in the prayer for light... the light that gives us a new dawn, new mornings of hope, new beginnings... May there be light!

steven said...

reya - i love colour and light. there are points in my life that were defined by the presence or lack of both. steven