Saturday, August 30, 2008

True Believer



A year ago, I was a wreck - physically, psychically and spiritually. I didn't understand then how much of a wreck I was because, well, you know - when living through some life phase or another, it's hard to measure. Looking back now I see what a mess I was. I could post a list of physical symptoms, states of denial, and out-of-control emotions I was laboring under, but I will spare you the details. It's all the stuff of being human.

Even as unconscious as I was about how much I was suffering, somewhere within myself I understood that I had to make serious changes. That deeper level of comprehension was what motivated me to call the Sufi acupuncturist and make that first appointment, just about a year ago (speaking of anniversaries).

I've seen a lot of acupuncturists, always briefly, but never benefited much from the work. Before last year, I experienced acupuncture as an attack. Being poked and burned just didn't seem healing to me.

Bless my dear friends who had been urging me to go see him for awhile. They knew, somehow, it would be a perfect match, and so it has been. It's not just on the physical level that I've received the benefits of that ancient system. Emotionally and spiritually, too, I am so much healthier, more resilient. I have developed healthier boundaries, and my compassion for myself and others has definitely expanded while meanwhile situations that were unhealthy have fallen away like scales from my eyes.

Over the course of the past year my life has changed dramatically, all for the good. I am so grateful. Many prayers of thanks to the Sage Kings, the Culture Heroes, and all the great doctors of Chinese medicine who, for four thousand years, have continually refined the inexplicable hoo-doo (as a friend would say) of Chinese medicine.

Bravo, great healers, and thank you so much. On this first anniversary of my journey into Chinese medicine, I salute you!

8 comments:

Val said...

well done you!! your blogs are all inspiring :-)

Reya Mellicker said...

Thanks, Val. And in another year, what will I see when I look back? Onwards & upwards!

Gary said...

I agree with Val - both you and your blog are inspiring. I am so happy that you are feeling better mentally and physically. How is the Reiki coming along? Any chance of leading a Reiki II class in the future?

tut-tut said...

What a thoughtful commemoration of your anniversary . .

Wanderer said...

Great post.
my acupuncturist is wonderful ~ I don't see him often, but have been going to him for 15 years and he always knows what's going on and what to do. I never have to tell him!

hele said...

Thank you for your comment. Reading it made me feel a whole lot better.

And reading this makes me look forward to finding the teacher I can sense skipping towards me through my future.

John said...

I feel your pictures say it all. You have a way of looking at the world, then interpreting that for us. And I thank you for it.

Reya Mellicker said...

Ernest you are welcome.

The pictures generate the text in this blog, always.

I LOVE my Matrix slide show ... especially poor Keanu freaking out. I know the feeling.