Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Fat Tuesday



Today presidential primary elections took place in states all over the U.S. In any election year, "Super Tuesday" is a very big deal. Even so I couldn't help thinking that people all over the world are celebrating Carnival right now, dancing, drinking, listening to music, feelin' sexy. People are all dressed up in masquerade, playin' "mas. No matter what, shouldn't Fat Tuesday be a day to celebrate? Why not?

Except here of course. There were parties planned all over the District tonight where people will gather to watch the news, find out who wins which primary and where. There will be drinking - count on it - but not a lot of celebration, unless the parties are focussed around Obama.

The cliché is so true - that if the U.S. were a high school, DC would be the Debate Club. An alternate cliche is that DC would be the Chess Club. Braniacs - that's the District of Columbia.

I love this city - I do. But sometimes ...

Tonight I'm remembering Carnival in Trinidad, in San Francisco, in New Orleans. The forms that joie de vivre takes in DC are just so weird. We are a city of nerds. Maybe that's one reason I feel so at home here.

Gotta get back to the news, now.

8 comments:

Washington Cube said...

Gives ya pause, doesn't it.

Anonymous said...

I had always imagined Washington DC as the hub of the Free World's Democratic thinking process.....so Tuesday wasn't so super afterall

Unknown said...

Well down here, it was just an ordinary Tuesday - and I've deliberately avoided watching CNN :-)

m.a. said...

Reya,

Hi!

I think that I want to make a t-shirt that says:

Washington DC: City of Nerds.

It's quite brilliant if you think about it.

I hope that we can get together soon!

IntangibleArts said...

But one gets such a delicious sense of psychic whiplash, going back & forth between Fox News and Keith Olberman on MSNBC. It's like.... oooh.... it's like.... ice cream vindaloo.... or something.

Living up in the Columbia Heights/Park View neighborhood, the "debate club" vibe definitely mellows out. Almost non-existent. And that's refreshing. Seems a bit more "real" up here sometimes.

But let's examine that remark again in 3 years, when the popped-collar crowd has moved into all the (reduced) condos on 14th Street. Heck; we may be debating that nonsense and getting hammered on Super Tuesday just like the folks down at the Hawk & Dove.

Marketh my wordseth!

Reya Mellicker said...

Intangible - I believe everything you say! Ice cream vindaloo? You're funny.

M.A. how are you?? Gotta check your blog - right now.

Squirrel said...

on fat tuesday I celebrated with a tiny glass of acorn liquor.

R.L. Bourges said...

OK. That does it. Just saw my link on the left of this post. The link to your place is going up on my blogroll this pm, mz reya.